Re: message board system

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: message board system
Message ID:
20000728095350.B12542@ig.co.uk
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 12:22:57PM -0700, Simon wrote:

> Some features:
> * Multiple Forum Abilities (ie. perl6 code suggestions, perl6 wishlist, etc)
> * Open or moderated forums
> * Registration required or public post ability
> * Each post shows date posted, how many people have viewed the post and how
> many replies.
> * Ablility to include some HTML in posts for links/images/font changes
> * File upload/share ability
> * Auto archive old posts
> * Ability to Search individual forums or the entire board.

I don't see enough there to warrant a change.

I sometimes think people use such systems because they don't have a
good mail tool that includes good support for message threading.
If anyone feels uncomfortable with high volumes of mail I suggest they
think about changing their mail tool.

Several years ago I used to use Sun's 'mailtool'. One day Chip
suggested I try mutt (http://www.mutt.org/). I've never looked back.
Mutt is very very good, and blindingly fast.

A mechanism to get mail from different lists delivered into different
mail boxes is also very valuable. I'd urge anyone getting a significant
amount of email to invest the time to setup 'deliver', 'procmail' or a
similar tool. (I don't have url's handy, I'm sure others will.)

For reference, I get about 350 emails per day that are delivered into
about 10 mailboxes. I have no problem handling that with mutt. I can't
imagine trying to do so with a web interface.

Tim.