Re: Possible conflict of interest?

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
Re: Possible conflict of interest?
Message ID:
20000728084520.B28515@othersideofthe.earth.li
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 03:28:03PM -0400, Adam Turoff wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 08:18:58AM +0900, Simon Cozens wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 02:03:42PM +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
> > > But isn't this the very essence of what Dick's working group is about?
> >
> > Uhm, not really, no. Dick's group's role appears to be one of corporate
> > liaison. I'm asking for that to include vendor and community liaison.
>
> Actually, Dick's group *is* about identifying concerns of large
> Perl shops that need to be addressed in Perl6.  If removing formats
> is going to cause hellish amounts of pain in very big perl shops, then
> we need to know that before they're removed from the language.

I *think* we're talking across each other here.

This is what you said:

    Dick Hardt's role for perl6 will be to talk to customers with a
    significant interest in Perl's stability and growth (e.g. Yahoo,
    investment banks, etc.) and forward these concerns to the perl6
    community.

That's corporate liaison. That's talking to big perl shops.

Community liaison involves that. It also involves talking to Perl
Mongers. (yes, they can voice concerns themselves, but as previously
explained, I think it's important for them to be considered in a
community liaison role for reasons of parity.) It also involves talking
to vendors, which is the business Alan was talking about yesterday. I'm
asking whether we can enlarge Dick's group's role to cover these extra
two areas.

--
An algorithm must be seen to be believed.
		-- D.E. Knuth