Re: message board system

From:
phil
Date:
Re: message board system
Message ID:
20000727143404.T9654@Stimpy.netroedge.com

Just a quick comment:

I agree with Steve, I like things more condensed and visible.
Slashdot spreads things out quite a bit, but perhaps that's better for
news type applications(?).

I've had pretty decent success with using a SQL backend to store
message for later retreiving.  PostgreSQL has been good to me, and
receintly (w/ my own testing) it was twice as fast as MySQL, and of
course is a real[tm] RDBMS with the expected documentation, stabilty,
and less tendency of segfaulting (relative to MySQL, anyway).

Anyways, I wrote a simple discussion group here (using mod_perl and
PostgreSQL):

http://www.hpineducation.hp.com/forum/forum.html

I'd strongly suggest using an email-list as a primary mechanism, and
augmenting it with an on-line discussion group with the usual
searching tools.

Phil

--
Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
   phil@netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil