Re: [ben_tilly@hotmail.com: Glad I am not on bootstrap]

From:
Tim Jenness
Date:
Re: [ben_tilly@hotmail.com: Glad I am not on bootstrap]
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.21.0007270733120.11116-100000@lapaki.jach.hawaii.edu

> > also we can (and should) add the subject markers which designate the sub
> > list (e.g [perl-qa]) to all mail and then simon could subscribe to the
> > all list and run his filters on that. so the multiple list plan can work
> > for both types of readers while the single list with filters works only
> > for those who can and want to filter.
>
> I don't see a reason for the tags, they just waste subject line space.
> If a message if from perl-qa then that address will be somewhere in
> the headers. If he is filtering on anything, he can filter on that.

I think the point is that it makes it easier to scan through the list
visually if you have a simple prefix in front of each subject line (the
simplest of all mail filters). We use that technique on our
internal mailing lists here and it gives the recipient immediate visual
confirmation of which list the message came from.

--
Tim Jenness
JCMT software engineer/Support scientist