Lists, sublists & filters [Was: [ben_tilly@hotmail.com: Glad I am not on bootstrap]]

From:
Barrie Slaymaker
Date:
July 27, 2000 09:21
Subject:
Lists, sublists & filters [Was: [ben_tilly@hotmail.com: Glad I am not on bootstrap]]
Message ID:
39806196.907B12BC@slaysys.com
Uri Guttman wrote:

> subscribing to control what you read is universal. mail filtering is
> not. however easy it is for some, it may not be for others, whereas we
> all can control list subscriptions. this reason alone is enough for sub
> lists to win out. no one is excluded from controlling what they see this
> way. with filters that is not the case.

I run a family of lists the opposite way: sending to the [moderated]
master list sends to all sublists, sending to sublists only works
normally.  This setup was exactly to deal with the "I can't filter"
issue: they can filter by subscribing, but important messages get
through to all.  It seems to work well.

I didn't set up a catch-all list that got blind-forwarded to by all
sublists, just didn't need to.  If we do have a catch-all, one thing
we'd need to do is filter duplicate messages out of the catch-all list,
so that cross-posting to multiple sublists only results in one message
on the catch-all.

- Barrie