Re: [ben_tilly@hotmail.com: Glad I am not on bootstrap]

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
Re: [ben_tilly@hotmail.com: Glad I am not on bootstrap]
Message ID:
200007271507.LAA19949@home.sysarch.com.

  GB> If people want one big list then, IMO, it should just be a
  GB> re-distribution list. ie an address that is subscribed to all
  GB> lists that people can subscribe to. This list should not change
  GB> any headers and only forward mails that were posted via one of the
  GB> other lists. All replies go to the list the original came from.

this is what i have be saying all along. the all list is a readonly copy
of all mail sent to the sublists. any replies to it are directed to the
sublist which originated the post. you can't directly write to the all
list (or only the list managers can).

  GB> If someone tries to send to the list directly, they should get a reply
  GB> telling them of the different lists that exist and tell them to resend
  GB> to the appropriate list.

good idea.

  GB> ie, the one big list is just an easy way to effectivly subscribe to all
  GB> perl6 lists without actually having to.

subscribing to control what you read is universal. mail filtering is
not. however easy it is for some, it may not be for others, whereas we
all can control list subscriptions. this reason alone is enough for sub
lists to win out. no one is excluded from controlling what they see this
way. with filters that is not the case.

also we can (and should) add the subject markers which designate the sub
list (e.g [perl-qa]) to all mail and then simon could subscribe to the
all list and run his filters on that. so the multiple list plan can work
for both types of readers while the single list with filters works only
for those who can and want to filter.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  uri@sysarch.com  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting