Re: Possible conflict of interest?

From:
Andy Wardley
Date:
Re: Possible conflict of interest?
Message ID:
1000727140342.ZM7158@bandanna
On Jul 27,  7:50pm, Simon Cozens wrote:
> There may not be an *actual* conflict of interest, but when people on
> the outside see the CEO of a company which provides Perl support being
> Perl's corporate contact, by heck is there going to be a *perceived*
> one.

It's a valid point, but I think we have to live with it and try to
manage people's incorrect perceptions, rather than pander to them.
By the same line of reasoning, we could argue that Larry can't be in
charge of language design because he's employed by O'Reilly.

As the saying goes: "You can't please all the people all the time"
(although I hear Damian Conway's working on a module to please
all(@people) in constant time)

> Again, the suggestion of a community liaison group would sidestep this.
> It would be natural for Dick to be on such a group, along with Perl
> Mongers, vendor liasons types and other interested parties. Are there
> any reasons why this isn't a good idea?

But isn't this the very essence of what Dick's working group is about?
If it just comes down to the issue of whether or not Dick should be
leading the group, then let another candidate come forwards and we'll
take a vote on who should be head honcho.  At the moment, it's a working
group of 1 because no-one else has stepped forward, not because Dick has
taken the job in exclusivity of anyone else.

Andy Wardley <abw@kfs.org>   Signature regenerating.  Please remain seated.
     <abw@cre.canon.co.uk>   For a good time: http://www.kfs.org/~abw/