Re: Possible conflict of interest?

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
Re: Possible conflict of interest?
Message ID:
20000727195024.A32426@othersideofthe.earth.li
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 11:19:26AM +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
> But for the moment, Dick is the best guy for the job.  The long-sought
> after evidence that ActiveState are the Big Bad Wolf incarnate has not
> yet been forthcoming, and I suspect never will.

You and I know that, and may have no qualms about this. Everyone here
knows that, give or take certain levels of surity. Now think of the PR
impact amongst those who *don't* know that. There, in the outside world,
the people we're trying to reach. We think we have a PR problem at the
moment? Just wait.

There may not be an *actual* conflict of interest, but when people on
the outside see the CEO of a company which provides Perl support being
Perl's corporate contact, by heck is there going to be a *perceived*
one.

We need to have clean hands. The external appearance of this Perl needs to
be spotless.

Again, the suggestion of a community liaison group would sidestep this.
It would be natural for Dick to be on such a group, along with Perl
Mongers, vendor liasons types and other interested parties. Are there
any reasons why this isn't a good idea?

--
I washed a sock.  Then I put it in the dryer.  When I took it out, it was gone.
        -- Steven Wright