Re: Possible conflict of interest?

From:
Andy Wardley
Date:
Re: Possible conflict of interest?
Message ID:
200007271019.LAA07026@bandanna.cre.canon.co.uk
> What I might suggest as a good solution is to appoint a neutral party as
> the Customer Relations person

That's a great idea.  If you can find someone who has the experience,
the contacts, is prepared to make the effort, and has no conflicting
interests, then I'm sure we would give him or her ample consideration.

But for the moment, Dick is the best guy for the job.  The long-sought
after evidence that ActiveState are the Big Bad Wolf incarnate has not
yet been forthcoming, and I suspect never will.  I think it's time to
let them get on with it.  When a better candidate steps forward, we
can always reconsider the role.

> Then again, it was decision of the closed-door group, so I may well be
> wasting ASCII here.

It was actually the decision of the *open* meeting.  Very little was
decided in the "closed-door" meeting, other than "We're going to
re-write Perl".  That decision was only made mid-way through the
morning after an interesting interjection from Jon Orwant turned
thoughts towards this possibility.  Until that point, I don't believe
there were any plans to re-write Perl and it certainly wasn't on the
agenda.  It just happened.  Larry made the decision there and then
and re-wrote the end of his keynote to announce it.

The subsequent meeting in the afternoon was open to all perl5-porters
and all the remaining decisions were made then, with fair discussion
and general agreement.