Re: Possible conflict of interest?

From:
Piers Cawley
Date:
Re: Possible conflict of interest?
Message ID:
m1vgxroqmt.fsf@rt158.private.realtime.co.uk
Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce@ig.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 04:53:23AM -0400, Dave Paris wrote:
> >
> > Then again, it was decision of the closed-door group, so I may well be
> > wasting ASCII here.
>
> Not true. Everything, after the initial decision to have a go at a Perl6,
> was done in the open-invitation and open-door perl5-porters meeting.
>
> I think Dick and ActiveState are in an excellent position to do the
> job. No other single person or organisation that I'm aware of comes
> close to having the breadth or depth of existing contacts with large
> corporations.

I don't think that that was Dave's point really. I don't doubt that
Dick has the contacts, but that is beside the point of whether or not
he has a conflict of interest.

Personally I believe that, sure, there's a Conflict of Interest, but
it's also likely that any other hypothetical Speaker to Suits will
also have a similar conflict of interest.

So the question becomes: Do we want an official speaker to suits?

My answer: Yes, probably.

--
Piers, who doesn't work for ActiveState, The Perl Clinic or any
similar organization.