Re: Project manager role

From:
Roman M . Parparov
Date:
Re: Project manager role
Message ID:
20000727102909.M18150@empire.tau.ac.il
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 01:20:11PM +1000, skud@netizen.com.au wrote:
> >From the original ROLES list:
>
> >  project manager	gnat@frii.com [3]
> >
> >[3] Nathan Torkington has agreed to take the role of project manager
> >    for perl6 until he can find someone to take over.
> >    Early discussions about this role mentioned the possibility of
> >    recruiting someone with managerial experience but not necessarily
> >    coming from a technical background or even a Perl background.
>
> I'd like to know what's happening with this, and how and when it will be
> decided.  I'll admit that my interest is largely because it was suggested
> that I should think about applying for the role.  I've been giving it
> some thought  it for a few days now, talking to some people, and seeing
> whether it will fit in with my other work, and I've decided that I'd
> definitely like to put myself forward for it.
>
> (Btw, I've already talked to Nat about this a bit, and he said I should
> feel free to bring it up on the bootstrap list)
>
> K.

I also applied for the task - I have quite an experience in the
specific field of Project Management, used to be it in the Israeli Air
Force for some 3 years. I haven't received any clear reply though.

As of the job - The question is what TOOLS do we have here?

It is clear that what currently needs to be done is to collect "The list
of desired features and capabilities" from the community, through some
primitive initial filtering. But HOW do we do it? Is perl.org setting up
a WWW form for that purpose? I can do that on a site of mine, but I need
some cooperation for the choices the form would present.

Then, let's say, we collected that list, now we'll need to pass it to
some team of experts which would analyze, sort and present that list
in the following aspects:
I. Need.
II. Difficulty to implement.
  a) Availability of efficient solution.
  b) Time consumption.
  c) Performance problems involved.
III. Ideological aspect [will the language with this feature still be the
     PERL we want?].
IV. Third party cooperation required.

Based on these analysis, the Project manager, or the Project manager team
can issue the specs which will target the implementation issues.

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: romm@empire.tau.ac.il		   http://www.komkon.org/~romm