Re: Initial Structure

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
Re: Initial Structure
Message ID:
4.3.2.7.0.20000726160607.00afb290@24.8.96.48
At 06:10 PM 7/26/00 +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
> > We still need an RFC format.  Dan was going to come up with a draft
> > format.

I got mail from several folks telling me they were working on formats too,
including one in XML, so I held off. If something's not forthcoming by
tomorrow I'll post my (heavily lifted from the standard IETF RFC) template.

>If he wants to punt, I'll do it tonight.  Right now I'm
> > picturing:
> >  - Abstract
> >  - Description of the change
> >  - List of possible implementations (doesn't have to be at the bit
> >    level unless you're talking a bit-level change) that were discussed,
> >    with quick summary of pros and cons.
> >  - Suggested choice of implementation.
>
>Perhaps also:
>
>    - Intent        (why make the change?)
>    - Impact        (what else might break?)

I'd make some of these sections opional--an RFPC on, say, foreign objects
in perl may not have as many sections as one on redoing the way we store
scalars internally.

I'm most interested in WHAT, WHY, and HOW. (or, if you prefer, quick
summary, rationale, technical details) Things like actual code, a reference
bibliography (for previous attempts, successful or not, or papers on
theory), embedding/threading/reentrancy impact, security impact, and
suchlike things are also useful but not always appropriate.

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk