Re: Vendor liason

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
Re: Vendor liason
Message ID:
20000726213551.A3274@beta.hut.fi
> Once we have code, we'll want to make sure it works on all of the reasonable
> platforms out there.  Many of those platforms have champions already.  In
> a year's time, when we have alpha quality code, it would be time to get
> the vendors into the loop.

The final goal, I hope, being not getting not only all the reasonable
platforms but also the unreasonable ones, hopefully even the absurd ones.
At Perl 5 we are currently almost as portable as C [1], we must not lose that.

[1] Jokes about the portability of C won't break my bones: been there,
done that [2].  What I mean that you can take pretty much any program that
conforms to the "standard" (K&R, ANSI; perl docs) and expect to be able
to get that code running in no time.

[2] A certain 16000-line shell script.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/