Re: Vendor liason

From:
Adam Turoff
Date:
Re: Vendor liason
Message ID:
20000726142632.E26701@panix.com
On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 11:13:50AM +0100, Tim Bunce wrote:

> Umm. It may be poor timing... "Hello, thank you for recently including
> perl5 in your OS distribution after years of persuasion. I'm just calling
> to let you know that the next version is going to be incompatible."
>
> I'm simplifying, of course, but I hope you see my point.

I think that worry is premature.  It's way early to involve vendors in
the loop at this early stage.  We haven't figured out what the working
group structure is yet!  :-)

Once we have code, we'll want to mkae sure it works on all of the reasonable
platforms out there.  Many of those platforms have champions already.  In
a year's time, when we have alpha quality code, it would be time to get
the vendors into the loop.

Until then, the most we need and the best we can get would be reasonable
configurations to build against; in the grand scheme of things, this isn't
a huge requirement.

And, of course, there's no reason why vendors should feel obliged to
rewrite Perl5 programs or uninstall Perl5 when they install Perl6.
This is part of the "public face of Perl" that brian's role is all about.

Z.