Re: [spam score 3.12/10.0 -pobox] Re: Perforce vs CVS

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
Re: [spam score 3.12/10.0 -pobox] Re: Perforce vs CVS
Message ID:
20000726131828.D32509@athens.aocn.com
On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 12:26:39PM +0100, Graham Barr wrote:
> Others have answered some of this. But one thing that comes to mind
> is the way it groups multiple files changes in to a "change". In CVS
> it is not so easy to figure out what other files were submitted at the
> same time as a given change to file X.

You can tag sets of files.  I often tag a release of a CPAN module
with something like "cvs tag VERSION=0_10" or something.
Unfortunately, one must remember to do this manually AFAIK.

An interesting alternative feature is CVS's history logging
facilities, but I'm sure Perforce has something similar.

Something CVS does which is kinda cute, but not critical, is "cvs
annotate".  It produces a listing of the source each line with a stamp
of when it was checked in, what version and by who.  We were talking
at the conference about how interesting it would be to have a sort of
Prime Radiant (Second Foundation) for Perl.

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      schwern@pobox.com
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse