Re: Vendor liason

From:
Alan Burlison
Date:
Re: Vendor liason
Message ID:
397F1B88.F3C5C21F@uk.sun.com
Tim Bunce wrote:

> Umm. It may be poor timing... "Hello, thank you for recently including
> perl5 in your OS distribution after years of persuasion. I'm just calling
> to let you know that the next version is going to be incompatible."

I already know that thanks :-)

That in itself is not a major problem - after all perl5 is not going to
disappear overnight, and a vendor can always continue to ship that if
they wish.

> It may be better to wait till we know what perl6 will look like and,
> crucially, if Larry's "automatically translate 95% of 95% of scripts"
> goal was optimistic or pessimistic.

I'd prefer to know sooner rather than later.  When it comes to
draughting up engineering schedules, the more information and the sooner
it is available, the better.  Of course, nobody is expecting concrete
commitments, but at least a general overview of the likely development
phases with approximate dates would be useful.  And also, if plans
changes, early visibility allows everyone to adjust accordingly.

--
Alan Burlison
Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems