Re: Initial Structure

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: Initial Structure
Message ID:
20000726173950.I14669@ig.co.uk
On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 10:04:04AM -0600, Nathan Torkington wrote:
> perl6-internals@perl.org
>   This list is for discussion of internals design, architecture
>   changes, embedding, extending, and so on.
>
> perl6-language@perl.org
>   This is for discussing user-visible changes to the language.
>
> perl6-all@perl.org
>   This gets copies of all the perl6-* traffic.  Intent: if you reply to
>   a message you got via this list, your reply goes to the original list.
>
> perl6-announce@perl.org
>   This is a moderated list, for news of new lists, RFCs, working
>   groups, and so on.

Looks fine.

> The internals and language lists need chairs.

Isn't Dan already the internals chair?

> The goal is to develop RFC documents about proposed changes to Perl.

For the language chair I'd like to make the observation that the task,
at this point at least, is *not* to try to design the language but to
collect well-reasoned RFCs for Larry to cogitate on.

> The chairs can spin off
> sub-groups to tackle particular issues, each with goals, a chair, and
> so on.  The chair's responsibility includes weekly summaries a-la
> mjd's p6p reduxes, but the chair may delegate to someone else.  The
> summaries are sent to the parent list.  Summaries of language and
> internals are sent to the announce list.

Sounds good.

> The mailing list chairs have access to a web page on perl.org that
> makes it easy to create or destroy mailing lists.  Once a mailing list
> is destroyed, its archives are put onto the webiste.

There's the question of whether sub-groups initially inherit the
subscription list of the parent. I.e., members opt-out or opt-in.
Perhaps that's a choice for the chair when a sub-group is spawned.

> Comments?  I'd like to have Ask set this up Thursday.

Feels like a solid step forward.

Tim.