Re: Perforce vs CVS

From:
Graham Barr
Date:
Re: Perforce vs CVS
Message ID:
20000726152623.X472@pobox.com
On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 10:00:32AM -0400, John Tobey wrote:
> Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> wrote:
> > Well I use perforce for all my code development I release to CPAN.
> >
> > But my Net::LDAP module has started to gain a large community. To handle this
> > I wrote a script (quick hack) which mirrored the perforce repository
> > into CVS on sourceforge.
> >
> > This gives me, the developer, use of the tool I feel is best for
> > the job and also others get CVS read-only access to any changes as
> > I make them.
>
> That sounds like a fine compromise to me.  Any chance you could be
> imposed upon to install your system for the Perl 6 tree?

Well given that it is a (not very well written) shell script, probably not.

As I said this was a quick hack to get something working for me.

But this has at least proved the concept that it can be done, and what I have
can be vastly improved upon.

Simply replicating changes made to a single directory (recursivly) is not
difficult. But if you want to follow all branches as CVS branches thats
a bit more difficult, but not impossible.

Graham.