[OT] Use Perforce, serve the CVS masses [Was: Perforce vs CVS]

From:
Barrie Slaymaker
Date:
July 26, 2000 04:54
Subject:
[OT] Use Perforce, serve the CVS masses [Was: Perforce vs CVS]
Message ID:
397ED1B6.A1C3F0B2@slaysys.com
[[Sorry to continue an OT thread, no other lists have been set up yet.]]

Adam Turoff wrote:

>         The CVS gateway is a doable option. There are many ways to
>         accomplish this, such as Barrie Salymaker's Safari project,
>         Simon's Perforce replacement as well as writing a few scripts to
>         rsync a CVS directory to Perforce and committing changes once an
>         day (or more frequently if desired).

I'm also working (right now, in fact) on a Perforce->CVS bridging tool, FWIW.

More details when available, FWIW.

My favorite solution for the "use Perforce, serve the CVS masses" would
be a pserver that backends to p4d via the p4 command.  I haven't
embarked on it, but it's the solution that seems to best fit the
problem of enabling anonymous read-only access via CVS.

Any volunteers?  I'll collaborate, since I'm already wrapping the p4
command in a nice, comfy Perl blanket these days.

If I knew the pserver protocol better, I'd be throwing one together
right now :-).  I'd *really* like to see a perl pserver front end
that can back end to perforce, and eventually to bitkeeper and any
other backend implemented by enterprising young hackers.

- Barrie