Re: Vendor liason

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: Vendor liason
Message ID:
20000726111350.N14669@ig.co.uk
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 10:03:56PM -0700, Alan Burlison wrote:
> I notice in the original perl6 announcement that although there is a
> "Customer Relations" person (Dick Hardt), there doesn't seem to be a
> Vendor Liaison person, that is someone who is responsible for
> coordinating with all the ISVs and OS vendors etc who want to bundle or
> use perl in their product.  Could such a volunteer be found.  I think an
> important attribute of such a person is that they need to be seen as
> vendor-neutral as possible.  For that reason I'm *not* volunteering, but
> I am volunteering to be the Sun end of the relationship ;-)

Umm. It may be poor timing... "Hello, thank you for recently including
perl5 in your OS distribution after years of persuasion. I'm just calling
to let you know that the next version is going to be incompatible."

I'm simplifying, of course, but I hope you see my point.

It may be better to wait till we know what perl6 will look like and,
crucially, if Larry's "automatically translate 95% of 95% of scripts"
goal was optimistic or pessimistic.

Tim.