Re: Perforce vs CVS

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
Re: Perforce vs CVS
Message ID:
20000726155713.A10345@justanother.perlhacker.org
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 10:47:33PM -0800, Michael Fowler wrote:
> Well, I've been having my doubts about the whole Perforce thing.  I know
> now I'm not the only one who hasn't downloaded bleadperl because of
> unfamiliarity with rsync and perforce.

The rsync interface is completely irrelevant to perforce; it was just
a way of making the current state of the tree available.

> I don't know about anyone else, but it gives me the willies when I have to
> deal with a company that both has a low opinion of "freeware" simply because
> it doesn't have a monetary price tag, and is willing to resort to FUD in
> order to compete.

Be fair - it's selling to *other* companies that have a low opinion of
"freeware" simply because it doesn't have a monetary price tag.

Let's be practical and look at the technical reasons for going with it
or not. (And then let's copy them and implement a free version. :)

--
"Saving four times is just paranoia.  Unless you're using an Exabyte
 5gig/8mm tapedrive." - Graham Reed, ASR