Re: Perforce vs CVS

From:
John Tobey
Date:
Re: Perforce vs CVS
Message ID:
m13HIck-000FOJC@feynman.localnet
Dan Sugalski <dan@sidhe.org> wrote:
> At 01:03 PM 7/26/00 +1000, skud@netizen.com.au wrote:
> >I'd hate to see us create a barrier to entry which discourages people
> >from reading or contributing to the perl source.
>
> Here's a bigger issue with any source control system we choose. We *must*
> make sure that everyone, on any reasonable platform, has access to at least
> timely snapshots of the code, and I'd really prefer a full-blown client.
>
> Don't forget, p5 runs on VMS, MacOS, Windows, AS/400, RISCOS, OS/2, and
> OS/390 (at least) in addition to the various flavors of Unix. Forcing
> someone to port a client just to participate, or to require a Unix box, is
> a nasty thing, and one we should consider long and hard before we do it.
> (Both perforce and CVS clients run on most of the named OSes AFAIK, and if
> we have a pure perl client that's OK too)

OK, this is starting to bug me.  I would contribute more to Perl 5 if
it were in CVS instead of Perforce.  Having to use rsync to bring
bleadperl up-to-date is a royal PITA.  CVS *has* 3-way merge, and the
Emacs client gives it a reasonable front end.

> Having said that, we ought to choose the source control tool that meets our
> needs best and gets in the way least. The P in perl stands for Practical,
> not Political, after all...

Who is "we" in "our needs"?  The developers with write access, or
contributors who just want to change a half-dozen files in various
directories and send in the output of cvs diff -u?

Best
-John

--
John Tobey, late nite hacker <jtobey@john-edwin-tobey.org>