Re: What about many many mailing lists

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
Re: What about many many mailing lists
Message ID:
4.3.2.7.0.20000725230408.00d36ee0@24.8.96.48
At 06:13 PM 7/25/00 -0600, wpiencia@walter.dsl.frii.net wrote:
><comment type="wandering">
>   There's been some real concern stated that with a wide-open
>   policy, chaos will ensue, and work may get bogged down.
>   (Hey, it's a possibility:  don't shoot.  ;^)

And one that's materialized--c.f. comp.lang.perl.misc. (Not that I'm
opposing a wide-open policy, as long as the rules as to what behaviour is
unacceptable and what the ramifications of continuing it are)

>   Personally, I'm of mixed mind regarding this.  Optimally,
>   everything is wide open . . . but I do remember the IETF's
>   HTML 2.0 working group.  It got bogged down with a bunch of
>   irreconcilable (and sometimes pedantic) positions on issues
>   (tables and math, if you're wondering) that ultimately had to
>   be jettisoned from the spec for it to go forward.  I'm
>   thinking that the closed-group model is an attempt to
>   forestall this, much as W3 continued the HTML work.

I was under the impression that the WG leads would have primary yea/nay
authority, with the group leads over them, and Larry at the top, with that
authority exercised only when necessary (either a group is totally bogged
down, or a decision would create major havoc in other areas, or something
else of the sort). Basically folks could step in if they really, *really*
needed to, and would hopefully work to make sure that wasn't necessary.

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk