Re: Perforce vs CVS

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
Re: Perforce vs CVS
Message ID:
4.3.2.7.0.20000725232252.00dfcb50@24.8.96.48
At 01:03 PM 7/26/00 +1000, skud@netizen.com.au wrote:
>I'd hate to see us create a barrier to entry which discourages people
>from reading or contributing to the perl source.

Here's a bigger issue with any source control system we choose. We *must*
make sure that everyone, on any reasonable platform, has access to at least
timely snapshots of the code, and I'd really prefer a full-blown client.

Don't forget, p5 runs on VMS, MacOS, Windows, AS/400, RISCOS, OS/2, and
OS/390 (at least) in addition to the various flavors of Unix. Forcing
someone to port a client just to participate, or to require a Unix box, is
a nasty thing, and one we should consider long and hard before we do it.
(Both perforce and CVS clients run on most of the named OSes AFAIK, and if
we have a pure perl client that's OK too)

Having said that, we ought to choose the source control tool that meets our
needs best and gets in the way least. The P in perl stands for Practical,
not Political, after all...

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk