Perforce vs CVS

From:
skud
Date:
July 25, 2000 20:03
Subject:
Perforce vs CVS
Message ID:
20000726130308.B25892@netizen.com.au
Whoa!

I'd like to see some more discussion of this.

So far, the only "pro" I've seen for Perforce is "it's much nicer".  On
the other hand, it's:

- not open source nor even (beer) free
- not as well understood by most developers

I'd hate to see us create a barrier to entry which discourages people
from reading or contributing to the perl source.

I'd like to hear some discussion on the following points:

- what Perforce offers that CVS doesn't
- how important or beneficial these features are to Perl
- what a developer needs to do/learn/etc to move to Perforce from CVS
  and how much of a barrier to entry it would be
- what are the social/PR implications of choosing Perforce and what will
  their impact be?

K.

--
Kirrily Robert -- <skud@netizen.com.au> -- http://netizen.com.au/
Open Source development, consulting and solutions