Re: What about many many mailing lists

From:
wpiencia
Date:
Re: What about many many mailing lists
Message ID:
Pine.GSO.4.21.0007251809050.24247-100000@walter.dsl.frii.net
Okay, early consensus STRONGLY favors that working-group lists
should have open subscription policies.  But as far as posting
goes, is this related somehow to working-group membership
itself?  Is that open?  Closed?

<comment type="wandering">
  There's been some real concern stated that with a wide-open
  policy, chaos will ensue, and work may get bogged down.
  (Hey, it's a possibility:  don't shoot.  ;^)

  Personally, I'm of mixed mind regarding this.  Optimally,
  everything is wide open . . . but I do remember the IETF's
  HTML 2.0 working group.  It got bogged down with a bunch of
  irreconcilable (and sometimes pedantic) positions on issues
  (tables and math, if you're wondering) that ultimately had to
  be jettisoned from the spec for it to go forward.  I'm
  thinking that the closed-group model is an attempt to
  forestall this, much as W3 continued the HTML work.
</comment>

So, open subscription to mailing lists, regardless of
working-group membership policy?  But limited posting
privileges?

strawman version 0.02:

p6-announce (open subscription; moderated posting;
    general p6 announcements, including notices about the start
    or end of other p6 lists)

And an example setup for a specific working group would be: