Re: source control (CALL#107768)

From:
James Strickland
Date:
Re: source control (CALL#107768)
Message ID:
200007252345.QAA91393@computer.perforce.com
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:56:43 -0700 (PDT) Ask Bjoern Hansen <ask@valueclick.com> said:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 11:04:18AM -0700, sfink@digital-integrity.com wrote:
> > > But from what I've heard of Perforce, it sounds like a better tool.
> >
> > It is, but it's not open source.  I don't care, but maybe some people
> > do. I say screw them, I think we should use it anyway.  :-)
>
> the only issue with perforce is that there is no easy way to give
> everyone and their sister easy "full blown" read-only access to the
> system.

I'd suggest simply telling prospective users to set P4USER to "anonymous"
and let them each set their own unique P4CLIENT (or use the default of
hostname).  You can have passwords on all other accounts, and set the
protections table to only give read-only access to user "anonymous".

(Sort of like anonymous ftp.)

> But besides that I think we should go with perforce too if they'll
> give us the licenses. We can run it on the tmtowtdi box.

As I mentioned in reply to Joshua Pritikin's original email, the free
software agreement can be found at
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/licenseforms/free_software.html

Just fax that in to 1-510-864-5340 along with a description of the project
justifying the "free software" aspect.

--
James Strickland
Perforce Software Technical Support