Re: What about many many mailing lists?

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
Re: What about many many mailing lists?
Message ID:
200007252350.TAA14697@home.sysarch.com.
>>>>> "m" == mjd-list-bootstrap  <mjd-list-bootstrap@plover.com> writes:

  m> A few people have made comments to the effect that the number of
  m> mailing lists must not grow to be too large.  But I think it would be
  m> a shame to decide this by accident.  it seems to me that a workable
  m> alternative would be to assume that there would be a few big,
  m> important mailing lists, but also that these would spin off small,
  m> temporary mailing lists whose purpose was to resolve some side issue
  m> and then present the conclusion back to the main group.

  m> I suggested to Nat that we could set up a web page or some other
  m> mechanism that would make it very easy to create a mailing list
  m> quickly and then to destroy it again later.  (I would volunteer for
  m> this if necessary.)  The technical issues are not difficult, because
  m> of EZMLM.  The security issues also do not seem to be difficult.

this is right where i see it going. consider the short term lists like a
water cooler meeting. they may last only a week just to hammer out the
foo design. we have about a dozen main lists for the working groups (and
that read only list of all mail) and spawn off small lists which focus on
one area with only a handful of subscribers. when that project is done,
the list is destroyed and its final report is mailed to the parent
list. the old email on the list will still need to be archived in some
way. maybe that will be part of the function of the read only list.

i am glad to see more of the talk focusing on the organization of the
perl6 community and away from design and implementation. let's keep this
focus and then let loose all our pent up energies in the right fora.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  uri@sysarch.com  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting