Re: Backward Compatibility (was Re: List for Perl 6 syntax?)

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
Re: Backward Compatibility (was Re: List for Perl 6 syntax?)
Message ID:
11029.964560639@chthon
>   [ pre-ante-RFC on merging Scalar/Array/Hashe variables ]

>My immediate reaction to this was "Interesting idea, but what about
>Perl 5 compatibility?".    Which lead to the question "To what extent
>is Perl 5 compatibility a constraint on Perl 6?".

I suspect I'm not allowed to answer your question, and that lightning
will soon fall on me for doing so.  After all, you're OFF TOPIC!
Oh well.  Tough noogies. :-)

The answer is that one is allowed to break perl5, so long as perl6
can still run perl5 code through a clever B::Deparse-ish process
that, perhaps in the absence of some suitable pragma such as use
6.000, would generate the correct translation.

--tom