Backward Compatibility (was Re: List for Perl 6 syntax?)

From:
M.J.T. Guy
Date:
July 25, 2000 14:25
Subject:
Backward Compatibility (was Re: List for Perl 6 syntax?)
Message ID:
E13HBvx-0005qp-00@libra.cus.cam.ac.uk
Andy Wardley <abw@cre.canon.co.uk> wrote

   [ pre-ante-RFC on merging Scalar/Array/Hashe variables ]

My immediate reaction to this was "Interesting idea, but what about
Perl 5 compatibility?".    Which lead to the question "To what extent
is Perl 5 compatibility a constraint on Perl 6?".

Perl 5 did a _very_ good job with maintaining Perl 4 compatibility.
Compared with the size of the language, the list of traps in perltrap
is _tiny_.      Most Perl 4 programs Just Worked, and continue to work.
Do we expect / want to achieve a similar standard of compatibility
for Perl 5 -> Perl 6?      What tools and mechanisms do we need to
to assist compatibility?

I think we need a discussion / mailing list on this point at an early
stage.    There's no point wasting time developing all sorts of wonderful
ideas only to have them stamped on by the Backward Compatibility Police.

I'd expect the list to produce a set of rules / guidelines to assist
others in maintaining compatibility where desired.    This might
include "Thou shalt not ..."  rules, but I'd mostly expect more
like "Any proposal to do ... must include a compatibility bridge."

Mike Guy