Obscuring code?

From:
phil
Date:
July 25, 2000 14:18
Subject:
Obscuring code?
Message ID:
20000725142251.F9654@Stimpy.netroedge.com

I don't know if this has been covered or not (I just subscribed and
didn't see an archive for the list), but I'd like to propose some
method, whether built into Perl6 or completely external, to provide
obscuring of source code.

I see a method of compiling to a binary or some other means of
obscuring code (encryption?) helpful in keeping users from abusing
licensing, and as some term it, keeping job security.  Most languages
don't have an issue with this, but Perl does since it is an
'interpretive' language (OK, well at least from the pov of this
discussion).  And, I experience most of my code (as a server-side web
developer) residing on machines owned and managed by others.

Gosh, it would be great if a password or something could get me into
the source code and let me modify it directly.  Of course, Perl will
always have to have access to the source to run.  Perhaps some sort of
secure dual-key system??  I'm sure some smarter people out there than
I can see a solution... or already know of an existing one?!  :')

In the least, a one-way binary compiler or source code 'scrambler'
(obscurator) would handle this, but wouldn't be optimal...  perhaps a
two-way obscurator which was password based??

Thoughts? Comments?

Phil

--
Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
   phil@netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil