Re: Complex Problems vs. Simple Tools

From:
Mike Lacey
Date:
Re: Complex Problems vs. Simple Tools
Message ID:
010801bff676$83794580$8cc8fc3e@eu.cargill.com

----- Original Message -----
From: <abigail@foad.org>
To: "Peter Scott" <Peter@PSDT.com>
Cc: "Tom Christiansen" <tchrist@chthon.perl.com>; <bootstrap@perl.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 3:25 AM
Subject: Re: Complex Problems vs. Simple Tools

.
.
. [lot's of good stuff deleted here]
.
. [this - from Abigail's reply]
> Coding standards are good. But everyone has their own ideas on what good
> coding practise is.
>
> I do not think it's Perls task to force coding standards, or even any form
> of strictness by default.

Abi - with respect.

Giving site admins the ability to enforce the use of 'use strict' and -w
might well be a step forward in terms of how Perl is seen by corporate I.T.
management. If options like this could be specified at compile time it would
give those sites *who* *want* *it* the ability to enforce them. The rest of
us (hmmm, not me probably) would continue as we are....

Mike