Re: Internals Design job description

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: Internals Design job description
Message ID:
20000725155030.L2952@ig.co.uk
On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 10:23:24AM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> This is due soon, so before I forget:
>
> The Internals Design job description
> ====================================
>
> The whole point of this position is to be responsible for, though not
> necessarily design (as we have lots of clever people), the internal
> interfaces perl presents. The primary target is for programs that embed
> perl, extensions that perl embeds, and (to a lesser extent) embedded
> systems. The design of the internal data structures and code flow is a
> secondary responsibility, but it's more an advisory position there, as the
> internals will tend to flow naturally from the language design and
> interfacing requirements. In the event that perl gets partitioned (into
> lexer/parser, optmizer, and execution engine, say) this position's
> responsible for the interfaces between those partitions as well.
>
> In other words, my job is to make sure perl talks nicely and easily with
> the rest of the world, and to itself. The code behind the conversation is
> someone else's responsibility.

Probably a nit-pick... that sounds more like "Internals *API* Design"
rather than "Internals Design" to me.

Somewhat related to that... I'm a little concerned that you have
"internal data structures and code flow" as a "secondary responsibility".
While I see your point, to some extent, I'd rather they were considered
together. I don't see any value in making a primary/secondary
distinction here.

Tim.