Re: How to move forward (was: Why we're here)

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: How to move forward (was: Why we're here)
Message ID:
20000724214201.J23550@ig.co.uk
On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 04:04:39PM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:

>   TB> I suggest the following process:
>
>   TB> 1/ One or more people ("the editors") volunteer to collect suggestions
>   TB> from others about what problems they believe the perl language has
>   TB> *currently*.  *Without* any proposals for how to fix them. *Without* any
>   TB> suggestions for new features. Just list them. Perhaps a title and one
>   TB> paragraph max of description on each.
>
>   TB> 2/ That person could then consolidate all the inputs. Merging all the
>   TB> similar sections and producing a short summary of all the descriptions.
>
> i second this. let's get moving on the top down stuff instead of all
> this internals we are seeing. we need a proper/better/whatever spec to
> work from.
>
> i will volunteer for a group i call execution.
>
> the major groups i see (and some notes on each) are:
>
> 	execution
>
> 		op code dispatch loop, event handling, async I/O, safe
> 		signals, threads (perl and kernel), debugger access.
>
> 	syntax
>
> 		simplify for perl to parse Perl, easier language
> 		extensions, etc.

Woha! A few things:

1st, we need a volunteer to collate this lot and Ed <horos@earth.he.net>
has kindly stepped up to the plate. Thanks Ed!

2nd, please send the suggestions to him, not the list. If they go to the
list people are *bound* to want to comment in them. Let Ed sift and merge
them first.

3rd, please, everyone, try to phrase the issue in terms of a problem
or limitation in the current version of the Perl language rather than a
new feature. We can do the new features seperately.

Umm, then again, perhaps it's not worth trying to make that split since
there's bound to be significant overlap.

Ed, would you be happy to take both together? Ways to group them will
probably become clear when they start pouring in.

> i am sure there are a few others, but we should keep the number down to
> under a dozen.

Good idea.

Rest assured that someone else's top 12 will probably include your 13th.

Tim.