Re: How to move forward (was: Why we're here)

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
Re: How to move forward (was: Why we're here)
Message ID:
20000724232216.A8788@beta.hut.fi
> the major groups i see (and some notes on each) are:
>
> 	execution
> 	syntax
> 	regexes

	I would like to rename this 'pattern matching'
	to accommodate pluggability even here, and to leave
	door open for fuzzy matching and other more esoteric matching
	schema.

> 	data structures

	Even SVs should be pluggable enough so that I can have
	bigints, sparse strings (implemented as trees), complex
	numbers.  True multidimensional arrays?  Sparse arrays?
	Sorry, I guess I'm advocating my own ideas :-)

> 	objects
> 	extensions
>
> 		new xs and modules

	Native interfaces, in general.  If there's an interface
	in the system, in C/C++(/Java?), I want to be able to use it.

> 	byte code

	This includes 'packaging' (of scripts/modules).  Time for
	a '.par'?

> 	microperl
> 	cleanup

	How about 'portability'?  I think we are more portable than Java
	and I like to keep it that way.  64-bitness, byteorder, filenames,
	trying to generalize system APIs so that the C/UNIX libc is
	not necessarily the first interface ffered to newbies
	(raw APIs like signals should of course be available where
	 available, I'm not suggesting hiding them away)
	Or is the subject too cross-subject to warrant a wg,
	instead have portability as a guiding principle of all
	the wgs?

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen