Re: How to move forward (was: Why we're here)

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
Re: How to move forward (was: Why we're here)
Message ID:
200007242004.QAA10045@home.sysarch.com.

  TB> I suggest the following process:

  TB> 1/ One or more people ("the editors") volunteer to collect suggestions
  TB> from others about what problems they believe the perl language has
  TB> *currently*.  *Without* any proposals for how to fix them. *Without* any
  TB> suggestions for new features. Just list them. Perhaps a title and one
  TB> paragraph max of description on each.

  TB> 2/ That person could then consolidate all the inputs. Merging all the
  TB> similar sections and producing a short summary of all the descriptions.

i second this. let's get moving on the top down stuff instead of all
this internals we are seeing. we need a proper/better/whatever spec to
work from.

i will volunteer for a group i call execution.

the major groups i see (and some notes on each) are:

	execution

		op code dispatch loop, event handling, async I/O, safe
		signals, threads (perl and kernel), debugger access.

	syntax

		simplify for perl to parse Perl, easier language
		extensions, etc.

	regexes

		access to internals for debugging

	data structures

		dynamic replacing of hash implementation, pseudo hashes

	objects

		damian, of course, has some great ideas on this

	extensions

		new xs and modules

	byte code

		back ends, optimizer, etc

	microperl

		embedded, palm, minimal perl

	cleanup

		removing deprecated stuff, fewer perlvars, typeglobs,
		etc.

i am sure there are a few others, but we should keep the number down to
under a dozen.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  uri@sysarch.com  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting