Re: Perl version of Python Enhancement Proposals [PEP]

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: Perl version of Python Enhancement Proposals [PEP]
Message ID:
20000724195758.A23550@ig.co.uk
On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:48:01PM -0400, Andy Dougherty wrote:

> Independent of people's manners, there is the issue of the sheer volume of
> p5p.  The perl5 pumpkin holder (in principle) ought to keep track of
> everything. In practice, I know I relied a lot on the judgment of certain
> others, but the delegation was very loose and informal, and it was
> ultimately my responsibility to see that nothing fell between the cracks,
> so I still had to try to read everything.  I know I couldn't keep up with
> it all, and p5p was smaller then.  The job is just too big.

> Making the division of labor more explicit and reliable may well allow
> more people to take on significant (but not overwhelming) leadership roles
> and may also make the job of Perl6 pumpkin holder something a mere human
> can do without going insane.
>
> Separate mailing lists and focused working groups are one obvious way to
> try to make the division of labor more explicit and reliable.  Perhaps
> there are other ways too and I just lack sufficient imagination to suggest
> them right now.
>
> A formerly burnt-out pumpkin holder,

Speaking as another formerly burnt-out pumpkin holder (albeit in a
much smaller role), I agree entirely.

The p5p experiment continues and meanwhile I would hope that the number
of p6 working groups is kept managable. By which I think I mean <= 6
(subject to experience etc etc).

Tim.