perl threads vs. kernel threads

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
July 24, 2000 10:39
Subject:
perl threads vs. kernel threads
Message ID:
200007241739.NAA09686@home.sysarch.com.

ok, we have seen discussions of glib as a possible way to get threads
and other neat things. but i think there is a major misconception
here. a perl thread has to be preemptable at the perl op level. signals
have to be safe and delivered at that same level. that at not the same
as c or kernel level threads which is what i assume glib has. so
deciding to use or support glib makes little sense for that reason as
well as it is premature as we haven't mapped out the language features
yet.

i think most of the threads here are way too early and we have to get
the organization structure down first. where is larry's take (he may be
on vacation or something) as well as gnat and others at that level? we
need to herd these cats into some groupings so we can specify perl6 and
then decide how best to implement it. never implement before you spec is
a good rule which is broken too often.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  uri@sysarch.com  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting