Re: Perl version of Python Enhancement Proposals [PEP]

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
Re: Perl version of Python Enhancement Proposals [PEP]
Message ID:
4.3.2.7.0.20000724101019.00bd8280@24.8.96.48
At 06:45 AM 7/24/00 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>Simon Cozens <simon@brecon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Nat told me that the people at the meeting examined various development
> > models: Linux, Apache and some others, and then decided on a model
> > similar to the IETFs. It's my contention that the goals of Perl and the
> > goals of the IETF are very different, and the models are not comparable.
>
>Er... woah.  I thought we were just borrowing the terminology for formal
>proposals.  There's actually a serious proposal to model Perl development
>on the IETF?
>
>That's just an amazingly, staggeringly, horribly bad idea.

I can pretty much guarantee, on groups I'm dealing with at least, that we
won't be modeling the behaviour of the IETF. My attention span is *far* too
short for that. :)

My view of RFPCs is threefold:

1) They force the person who wants a feature to sit down and *think* about
it--you can't put together a coherent proposal without working through the
ramifications. (I've already shot down two of my own proposals because of this)

2) They give a definite target for things that will require multiple people
to implement. It's no substitute for communication during implementation,
certainly, but it helps if everyone involved is at least pointing more or
less in the same direction.

3) They give something concrete for folks that have experience in the area
the RFPC covers to comment on. (I, for one, found this useful when I was
working out thread things--while we never got the right thing, several
wrong things were stopped before they were ever started, which was good)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk