Re: Perl6 - ROLES

From:
Piers Cawley
Date:
Re: Perl6 - ROLES
Message ID:
m18zurrjlf.fsf@rt158.private.realtime.co.uk
Autarch <autarch@urth.org> writes:
> On 21 Jul 2000, Simon Cozens wrote:
>
> > This is the stuff that'll be mentioned a million times in the next
> > month.
> >
> > Safe signals, threading, native compiler, SVs as hash keys, filehandle
> > types, event loop, optional strong typing, banish typeglobs,
> > mark-and-sweep GC, lexical subs, named prototypes, re-entrant
> > everything, autoconf, Configure, Perl bootstrap configuration, localised
> > messages,
>
> Add to this exceptions supported by the core, methods as fast as
> functions, and a usable & stable user-level threading interface.  I'm sure
> I'm missing stuff too.

I'd like continuations too...

> Allow me to continue with a few suggestions of my own here.
>
> - hide @ISA completely.  The fact that inheritance can be modified at
> runtime is cool but lets replace this with a module like base.  Maybe
> base::add('Foo') & base::remove('Foo') could be used at runtime.

I definitely want to be able to mess with this stuff at runtime. And I
quite like @ISA to do it.

> - formalize fixed object attributes ala pseudo-hashes but with a much less
> crufty mechanism.  This too should be alterable at runtime.
>
> - some people may want real protected & private attributes.  I think its
> silly though.

Especially given that it's already possible to have them in Perl5
(with a fair amount of fancy footwork; check out Class::Contract.)
It'd be nice to have this supported in the language, but it's not
essential.

--
Piers