Re: Perl6 - ROLES

From:
Edwin Wiles
Date:
Re: Perl6 - ROLES
Message ID:
397892A3.F52DC6B6@cox.rr.com
Edwin Wiles wrote:
> I rather like the idea of separating the core into 'libraries', but I
> would strongly recommend that the final executable be 'monolithic'.  I'm
> not entirely sure how I mean this, but what I want to end up with is a
> Perl where I can be releatively sure that we only have the existing
> 'one-dimensional' problem of which version is required.

Quick follow-up to this.  No doubt someone will point out that with the
perl modules, you already have an 'n-dimensional' problem knowing
whether or not a given script will work for your setup.  To some degree,
this is true.

However, perl modules are very easily identifiable as the problem, and
relatively easy to upgrade/install as needed.  Or so I have found it to
be.  But how do you track down a slight-but-critical variation in how
regular expressions are implemented?  You might not even realize that
there was a problem, until a production system blows up in your face
when you finally hit the variation.

At least with the same 'core' being used everywhere, you can have some
confidence that if there is a problem, someone is likely to find it
before you do.  The more variation in the 'core' that is allowed, the
more divided the pool of testers becomes, the less likely a problem is
found.

	With Respect,
		Edwin