Re: Perl6 - ROLES

From:
Edwin Wiles
Date:
Re: Perl6 - ROLES
Message ID:
39788FD1.E5326649@cox.rr.com

"Brust, Corwin" wrote:

> >I think if we go this way, we're going to have to be careful about what
> >we allow people to call Perl.  If it doesn't pass some preset group of
> >tests, then it doesn't qualify as Perl, much like Sun's test for Java
> >implementations.
>
> Perhaps a 'Perlness Czar' to help distributors evaluate their versions as
> being sufficiently Perl-like.

<grin> Could be!  But it would be better to have automated tests that
their program has to successfully run in order to be called a 'true'
Perl implementation.

My concern is that right now, a given perl script can pretty much be
taken from one machine to another, and work.  Or at worst, you have to
have the right version of Perl.  This is a 'one dimensional' problem.
Usually, you just have to upgrade to the latest Perl.

If it's very easy to swap out regular expression packages, or anything
else for that matter, it becomes an 'n-dimensional' problem.  Not only
do you have to worry about which version of perl you're using, but you
have to worry about which 'core' libraries it's using.

The mind boggles!

I rather like the idea of separating the core into 'libraries', but I
would strongly recommend that the final executable be 'monolithic'.  I'm
not entirely sure how I mean this, but what I want to end up with is a
Perl where I can be releatively sure that we only have the existing
'one-dimensional' problem of which version is required.

	With Respect,
		Edwin Wiles