Re: Perl6 - ROLES

From:
Autarch
Date:
Re: Perl6 - ROLES
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.21.0007211235460.20881-100000@urth.org
On 21 Jul 2000, Simon Cozens wrote:

> This is the stuff that'll be mentioned a million times in the next
> month.
>
> Safe signals, threading, native compiler, SVs as hash keys, filehandle
> types, event loop, optional strong typing, banish typeglobs,
> mark-and-sweep GC, lexical subs, named prototypes, re-entrant
> everything, autoconf, Configure, Perl bootstrap configuration, localised
> messages,

Add to this exceptions supported by the core, methods as fast as
functions, and a usable & stable user-level threading interface.  I'm sure
I'm missing stuff too.

> =head1 OBJECT ORIENTATION

Allow me to continue with a few suggestions of my own here.

- hide @ISA completely.  The fact that inheritance can be modified at
runtime is cool but lets replace this with a module like base.  Maybe
base::add('Foo') & base::remove('Foo') could be used at runtime.

- formalize fixed object attributes ala pseudo-hashes but with a much less
crufty mechanism.  This too should be alterable at runtime.

- some people may want real protected & private attributes.  I think its
silly though.

-dave

www.urth.org
We await the New Sun