Re: Perl6 - ROLES

From:
Edwin Wiles
Date:
Re: Perl6 - ROLES
Message ID:
39787538.62F15D59@cox.rr.com
> This is a great idea.  I'm going to be reusing the basic ideas (and maybe
> some code) from the Perl hash code for another project.  Having it in
> prepackaged form would be fabulous.  If I felt more confident, I would also
> being doing the same for that project with the Perl regexp engine (instead
> I'll use regexp(3) or whatever it's called).

I had initially thought that breaking the core into separate libraries
would be a good idea.  Now I'm starting to have second thoughts.
Imagine separating out the regexp engine, and using a common interface
for it, so that other regexp engines could be substituted.

While on the face of it, this might sound like a good idea, it would
also lead to multiple versions of Perl, with incompatible regular
expressions.  <shudder!>

I think if we go this way, we're going to have to be careful about what
we allow people to call Perl.  If it doesn't pass some preset group of
tests, then it doesn't qualify as Perl, much like Sun's test for Java
implementations.

And at that, given how some industry giants act, I'm not sure that it
would do much good.  <sigh>