develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from April 2020

Help with REST API interaction.

From:
=?UTF-8?Q?Francisco_Acu=C3=B1a?=
Date:
April 24, 2020 21:52
Subject:
Help with REST API interaction.
Message ID:
CAO4wOBUy6-CP9FtTxOCE8hgSrdDgX0hCczgD0-ZHjdkbqmxFNQ@mail.gmail.com
Good day, I've been getting familiarized with Perl for the last couple of
days due to a RT integration project I've been handed. I've also been doing
a lot of research and a lot of asking around in forums for pointers on how
to properly achieve this.

I'm glad to say that I managed to get all my basic scrips up and running,
retrieving all the values I needed and updating all the fields I wanted to
update. I now need to get to the part of actually interacting with the
external RESTful API.

If what I understood from my research is correct, I will be working with
the REST::Client and JSON modules. And what I need to do is:

   1. Encode the values I want to pass over to the API into a JSON object.
   2. Do some coding on the other side in order to achieve my desired
   funcionalities and pass some values back to RT (for this I won't need your
   help since the coding won't be done in Perl, sadly)
   3. Decode the response I get back to Perl and use those values in RT to
   do some more updating.

I would greatly appreciate if you could provide me with some pointers and
code examples of this being done. Choosing the values I need to pass,
encoding them, passing them over to the API, and then decoding the response.

Needless to say, I am documenting all my work and will gladly share my
experience in this project and all the coding work in any forum.