develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from May 2019

Re: Is there a definition of what is a string in perl, and what isit?

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
May 21, 2019 19:13
Re: Is there a definition of what is a string in perl, and what isit?
Message ID:
bf0947ac-4042-78cd-6903-2d9b04ef5482@stemsystems.com
On 5/21/19 8:10 AM, hwilmer wrote:

> I'm not overthinking anything.  I was trying to find out if what
> currently happens to work under given conditions does so by chance or
> luck, or if I can be reasonably sure that it was done right because it
> is how things work, and it will work under different conditions the
> same way.
i will repeat one last time. perl has byte strings which can hold
anything. period. there is no more explanation needed. it works for you
because that is how it works. it isn't luck or superstition. it just
works. perl just works like this.

> The results have lead to some improvements and have shown that, while
> somewhat inconclusive, there is no other way to do it in perl because
> the data type I would need does not exist in perl. That will have to
> suffice.
perl doesn't have data typing as such.  a scalar can hold an integer, a
float or a string. the string can be anything in a byte buffer.

i didn't eveb realize the last few emails were off list. please only
reply on list.

uri