develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2019

RE: proper use of TEMPLATE

From:
Duncan Ferguson
Date:
March 15, 2019 09:28
RE: proper use of TEMPLATE
Message ID:
LO2P265MB158323C372BB2C4BBD744F4CF8440@LO2P265MB1583.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM
Rick,

Can you include the actual code you are referring to as from your message I do not yet understand what the issue is

  Duncs

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick T [mailto:perl@reason.net]
Sent: 14 March 2019 17:15
To: Perl Beginners <beginners@perl.org>
Subject: proper use of TEMPLATE

I’m sure this is a “newbie question,” but I am only a shade above that status and would appreciate some clarification.

I have

use TEMPLATE

in my code to control whether the attribute

selected

appears with one of the < options> of the list following <select> in my served html document. Here’s one line from that list

<option value="1" [% bool_full_selected %]> Full Course (1 credit)</option>

My code can easily replace the correct var with ‘selected’ and the other vars on the list with a blank. But what should that blank be?

Should I make it an empty string, a space, undef, or something else? I can try them out to see what will work (perhaps all will work), but I want to know what is considered best practice and why.

Perhaps there’s even a whole better way to approach this! I will be grateful to chew over any and all comments you experienced people send me. Thanks!

Rick Triplett