develooper Front page | perl.beginners | Postings from March 2019

proper use of TEMPLATE

From:
Rick T
Date:
March 14, 2019 17:21
Subject:
proper use of TEMPLATE
Message ID:
BB64B80F-ACCE-46E4-83F7-2E4E2160C4C5@reason.net
I’m sure this is a “newbie question,” but I am only a shade above that status and would appreciate some clarification.

I have

use TEMPLATE

in my code to control whether the attribute

selected

appears with one of the < options> of the list following <select> in my served html document. Here’s one line from that list

<option value="1" [% bool_full_selected %]> Full Course (1 credit)</option>

My code can easily replace the correct var with ‘selected’ and the other vars on the list with a blank. But what should that blank be?

Should I make it an empty string, a space, undef, or something else? I can try them out to see what will work (perhaps all will work), but I want to know what is considered best practice and why.

Perhaps there’s even a whole better way to approach this! I will be grateful to chew over any and all comments you experienced people send me. Thanks!

Rick Triplett