eval and next

From:
Alexander Koenig
Date:
October 6, 2009 06:45
Subject:
eval and next
Message ID:
4ACB4A08.6040105@mpi.nl
Hi all,

I have a Perl program where I use eval to catch errors. As they are Java
errors (via Inline::Java) I want my program to continue and just log the
errors somewhere.

My problem with this is, that I use the eval within a loop and I also
use next in this loop to ignore some special cases. But now, whenever
the next is triggered I get a warning like this:

Exiting eval via next at ad_hoc_stats.pl line 204, <GEN6> line 5421.

Googling the message I found this thread on Perlmonks
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=104789

But that does not seem to be about the same problem. I know that next is
executed for the enclosing for loop and not for the eval block. That is
how I want it. I tried naming the for loop to show perl that I know what
I'm doing but the warning persists.

Is there some recommended way of doing this, so that I won't get a
warning every time the next is triggered?

I hope my problem is clear. If not, I could provide some sample code as
well.

bye
Alex