great new installation package - how to override /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8?

From:
Charles Smith
Date:
October 5, 2009 08:46
Subject:
great new installation package - how to override /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8?
Message ID:
972678.53494.qm@web63707.mail.re1.yahoo.com
I'm trying to install UR-v0.12 - and encountered a great wizard.  But I don't have root access on my machine.  I get

  You are not allowed to write to the directory '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8'

even though I'd entered

  Your choice:  [] PREFIX=~/lib/perl

Can somebody please explain to me how I can use ~/lib/perl instead of something in superuser areas?